Hi, I’m Rachel, professionally bookish person! I help authors and publishers shape, edit and hone their stories.
I spent most of my childhood consuming books and scribbling down stories. I have a BA in English and Creative Writing, and I set up my own business as a book editor in 2017. Since then, my client list has included the likes of Hachette UK, Black Library, Canelo, and Hashtag Press. I also provide editing and literary consulting via Writers & Artists, run by Bloomsbury. I have Amazon and New York Times bestsellers under my belt – to date, I’ve worked on over one hundred books. Somehow, I still find the time to read for pleasure, and I write my own books, too! For my writing, I’m represented by the lovely Thérèse Coen.
I’m a professional member of the Chartered Institute of Editing and Proofreading, which means my experience and training has been vetted and approved by people who know their stuff!
I live in North West England with my husband and our two cats.
- Copyediting 2: Headway (CIEP, 2021)
- Essential Proofreading (The Publishing Training Centre, 2018)
- Introduction to Fiction Editing (SfEP, 2017)
- Copyediting 1: Introduction (SfEP, 2017)
- Proofreading 1: Introduction (SfEP, 2017)
- BA (Hons) English and Creative Writing (2016)
Recent professional development
- Trauma-Informed Editing (FOLD Academy, 2022)
- Editing Memoir (Tanya Gold’s Courses for Editors, 2021)
- Comma Press virtual publishing conference (2021)
- Book Formatting Using Word Styles (Editors Canada, 2020)
- CIEP virtual annual conference (2020)
- Tolkien symposium on fantasy literature (2020)
- Inclusive Language Series (ACES, 2020)
- Editing for Young Readers (ACES, 2020)
- Comics and Graphic Novel Conventions for Proofreaders (Editorial Freelancers Association, 2018)
- Sensitivity Reads: What You Need to Know (Editorial Freelancers Association, 2018)