Welcome to the resource library for writers! Here you can browse through my collection of resources and advice on all things writing, editing and publishing. It doesn’t matter which publishing route you’re interested in (self-publishing or traditional), or if you just want to hone your craft – there’s something here for everyone.
Need some self-editing tips? Unsure of how to pick a freelance editor, or what to expect when working with one? These posts are for you.
Writing craft advice, from eliminating exposition to world-building and plot development.
Thinking of pursuing traditional publishing and submitting to literary agents or publishers? This collection of posts will help you with the process.
Publishing your work independently can be daunting but rewarding – here’s some guidance on all things self-publishing.
Author Journeys interview series
An interview series focused on overcoming rejection and other struggles in order to get published, self-publish, or secure literary representation. If you’ve ever felt held back, lost, or stressed out by the path to publication, this series is here to inspire and motivate you.
Recommended writing craft books
Other writing and publishing resources
- BookEnds Literary Agency YouTube channel: Lots of informative videos on traditional publishing from this team of literary agents.
- Fantasy Worldbuilding Questions: Giant list of world-building questions from Patricia C. Wrede.
- Writer Beware: A useful page about literary scams and red flags to watch out for when submitting to agents or publishers.
- Manuscript Wish List: Find out what agents and editors are looking for.
- QueryShark: The holy grail if you’re looking for an agent and want to know how to write a good query letter!
- QueryTracker: Search for agents and keep track of responses. Note: not all UK agents are listed in the database.
- Complete Guide to Query Letters: A guide to query letters from Jane Friedman.
- Writing with Color: Writing resources and guides on writing ethnic diversity.
- Conscious Style Guide: A guide to conscious/mindful language, covering things like health, disability, ethnicity and race, sexuality, etc.
- Historical Thesaurus of English: Research the usage/origin of English words and phrases. Useful for historical fiction authors.
- Writer Beware – Editors and Editing: Fantastic page on what different types of editors do, whether you need one, and how to avoid unqualified/questionable editors.
- Society of Authors: Trade union for authors.
- Alliance of Independent Authors (ALLi) – Non-profit organisation for self-publishing authors.