Here are some useful resources on writing, editing, and publishing.
Books on writing, publishing and self-editing
Fiction writing resources
- Fantasy Worldbuilding Questions: Giant list of world-building questions from Patricia C. Wrede. Really useful if you write fantasy or sci-fi.
- Writing Women Characters as Human Beings: A lot of fantasy books suffer when it comes to female characters being underrepresented or poorly represented. Here’s a great article on writing women.
- Writer’s Digest: Tons of articles on writing. They have a magazine and run events, workshops, and online webinars too.
- Fantasy Faction’s articles on writing: Plenty of useful stuff for fantasy writers, from character development to world-building.
Publishing and querying
- Writer Beware: A useful page about literary scams and red flags to watch out for when submitting to agents or publishers.
- Manuscript Wish List: Find out what agents and editors are looking for.
- QueryShark: The holy grail if you’re looking for an agent and want to know how to write a good query letter! Agent Janet Reid breaks down real query letters.
- QueryTracker: Search for agents and keep track of responses. Note: not all UK agents are listed in the database.
- Complete Guide to Query Letters: A guide to query letters from Jane Friedman.
Language and inclusivity
- Writing with Color: Writing resources and guides on writing ethnic diversity.
- Conscious Style Guide: A guide to conscious/mindful language, covering things like health, disability, ethnicity and race, sexuality, etc.
- Grammar Girl: One of the best grammar help websites on the Internet.
- Chartered Institute of Editing and Proofreading FAQs: Information on editors and proofreaders and what we do.
- Why edit?: Positive examples of what good editing can achieve, and why it’s worth it!
- Writer Beware – Editors and Editing: Fantastic page on what different types of editors do, whether you need one, and how to avoid unqualified/questionable editors.
- Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators (SCBWI): Organisation for children’s writers and illustrators.
- Society of Authors: Trade union for authors.
- Alliance of Independent Authors (ALLi) – Non-profit organisation for self-publishing authors.
- The Crime Writers’ Association – A community of crime writers and industry pros, covering fiction and crime-related non-fiction.
- Science Fiction & Fantasy Writers of America – For published authors and industry pros working in fantasy and sci-fi.
- Writing Excuses: Writing podcast created by Brandon Sanderson, Dan Wells, and Howard Taylor. Lots of amazing writing craft, editing, and publishing advice.
- Magic Lessons with Elizabeth Gilbert: Focuses on overcoming fear, doubt and other issues in art and writing.
- 88 Cups of Tea: A podcast featuring conversations with creatives and industry professionals such as authors, literary agents, poets etc.
- PubCrawl Podcast: Focuses on traditional publishing, writing craft and books.
Still want more resources? I also have a blog where I share writing and publishing advice, tips and tricks.